Copy of 45 characters, headed ‘Characters’, in three hands (A: pp. 1-66, 70-84, 89-95, 101-10; B: pp. 67-9, 96-100; C: pp. 85-8), on 110 octavo pages (plus 87 blank leaves), in contemporary stamped calf. c.1630.
EaJ 83: John Earle, Bishop of Worcester and Salisbury, Microcosmography
Once owned by E. Almack, FSA (his bookplate); by V. Almack; by Clive Coates of Helperley, Yorkshire; and by the Crewe-Milne family(possibly from the library of Robert Monckton Milnes (1858-1945), first Marquess of Crewe, or from that of Anthony Crewe-Milnes. Sold by Quaritch, 1 August 1989.
First published (anonymously), comprising 54 characters and with a preface by Edward Blount, London, 1628. 77 characters in the edition of 1629. 78 characters in the edition of 1664. Edited by Philip Bliss (London, 1811).
Containing copious contemporary manuscript annotations in an unidentified hand. c.1600.
SpE 92: Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene (London, 1596)
Later owned by Charles Wesley (1707-88), founder of Methodism.
Recorded in BC, 15 (Summer 1966), p. 159.
A printed exemplum with Drayton's autograph presentation inscription to Sir Richard Brawne.
*DrM 75: Michael Drayton, The Muses Elizium (London, 1630)
A facsimile of the inscription appears in Hebel, V (1961), 266.